Monday, 8 June 2015

Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) Web Application Proxy "The operation stopped due to an unknown general error. Error Code 0x8007520C" and "Unable to retrieve proxy configuration data from the Federation Service."

The AD FS WAP throws the error "The operation stopped due to an unknown general error. Error Code 0x8007520C" and it is reporting Critical Errors under the Operation Status. The AD FS infrastructure is out of action when this is in this state.

From the Event Logs there are multiple errors relating to the issue the first is Event 422 "Unable to retrieve proxy configuration data from the Federation Service." It also lists a Certificate Thumbprint that is nowhere to be found from the certificate stores. I would expect this to be the thumbprint of the shared SSL certificate that is also installed on the AD FS servers, but it is not.

Event 394 is also present "The federation server proxy could not renew its trust with the Federation Service. Additional Data, Exception Details: The proxy trust certificate specified by thumbprint {0} has expired."

The following command can be used to try and reset the AD FS WAP configuration. I found this from the following blog post http://www.concurrency.com/infrastructure/web-application-proxy-fails-error-code-0x8007520c/ unfortunately Shannon's fix did not work for me in this instance.
Install-WebApplicationProxy –CertificateThumbprint “thumbprint” –FederationServiceName “sso.domain.com”



It returned an error "The certificate that is specified by the CertificateThumbprint parameter could not be found in the Local Computer Personal Certificate Store", this was strange as I confirmed the certificate was present, valid and had the matching thumbprint.



The next step was to remove the Remote Access server role entirely and then reinstall and configure it. I used the following PowerShell command, I also deleted the certificate that was originally configured to work with the WAP so that I could reinstall it fresh. This can be done from the CLI or from the Certificates MMC snap-in.
Remove-WindowsFeature RemoteAccess, Web-Application-Proxy -Restart


Once the servers have rebooted, reinstall the Remote Access (WAP) server role. Ensure the certificate has been imported back in and it has the matching private key.
Install-WindowsFeature RemoteAccess, Web-Application-Proxy -Restart

When you launch the Remote Access Console you should be able to run the wizard again, once I did this the WAP server worked as expected again. It was a strange problem which I think was related to the certificate. If you have details on a fix without blowing the config away please share below.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! After trying to fix this for an hour or two we decided to just do what you said and blow it away and start over on the proxy side and it worked right away.

    So annoying...

    ReplyDelete

Comments system

Disqus Shortname